Law Offices of Robert B. Muchinsky, LLC
Call 24 Hours A Day — 7 Days A Week.

Investigated Or Accused Of A Crime?

What to know about accusations of probation violations

A criminal conviction can be devastating. You can be looking at jail or prison time, time away from your family and job loss. Thus, receiving probation instead of incarceration can come as a great relief to anyone in this difficult situation.

However, while probation allows you to avoid jail, it does come with several rules and requirements. Failure to comply with these can exacerbate existing problems and create new ones, so it is critical to understand what probation violations might look like and what to do if you are accused of one.

Conditions of probation

The specific requirements of probation vary by individual, criminal history and nature of the offense. However, in Connecticut, individuals on probation can expect the following terms:

    • Reporting to a probation officer
    • Consenting to lawful, warrantless searches
    • Abstaining from using drugs or alcohol
    • Remaining in the state
    • Refraining from committing a crime
    • Staying away from specific people or places
    • Submitting a sample for drug or alcohol tests
    • Attending treatment or educational programs

In some cases, the courts or probation officer can also require that you:

    • Have a curfew
    • Pay restitution
    • Provide a DNA sample
    • Register with State Police
    • Complete community service

Some common ways people violate probation include going places they shouldn’t go, failing to attend classes or submit to testing, being in possession of unlawful substances or leaving Connecticut without approval.

Addressing allegations of probation violations

Failing to comply with probation requirements can lead to harsh consequences. Your probation officer can send your case back to the courts, who can issue a warrant for your arrest. As a result, you can face additional charges and lengthier probation periods, and you may be ordered to fulfill the terms of your original sentence.

Because of this, you must make every effort to comply with the terms of your probation. If you cannot do so for some reason, talk to your probation officer or consult an attorney.

If you are unfairly accused of a probation violation, talk to your officer or your officer’s supervisor. If you still do not have a satisfactory outcome, you can file a formal complaint or defend yourself in court to protect your rights.