Law Offices of Robert B. Muchinsky, LLC
Call 24 Hours A Day — 7 Days A Week.

Investigated Or Accused Of A Crime?

Diversion programs may help you avoid a conviction

If you’re accused of a crime in Connecticut, the best thing you can do is explore all avenues of defense for your situation, including possible diversion programs. Diversion programs are designed to keep people out of jail or prison, even when imprisonment is a potential penalty. They’re generally designed to give people a chance to overcome their mistakes without being saddled with a serious criminal record.

What are some of the diversion programs available in Connecticut?

Some of the diversion programs in this state include:

  • The Family Violence Education Program
  • Accelerated rehabilitation
  • Youthful offender diversion
  • Drug education diversion program

Each one of these is offered to different people. For example, those who are accused of Class D felonies or lower may be able to go through accelerated rehabilitation. This program usually lasts between six months and two years, but the charges are dismissed upon completing the program. This is an excellent way to avoid a serious felony conviction.

The Family Violence Education Program is another great program in the state because it offers support to those accused of domestic violence. The program also aims to prevent individuals from being convicted through education and other steps. 

The youthful offender program is for teens of the age of 16 and 17 who haven’t used the program before and are now accused of a felonious crime. All cases take place in a closed courtroom for privacy. When teens complete the program, their records are cleared when they turn 21 (unless they are convicted of a different felony in that time period). 

Finally, the drug education program offers mandated drug treatment, education and community service to divert individuals from prison.

Could a diversion program be right for you?

These are all options in Connecticut that may work for you. Our website has more on what to do if you believe your case should be diverted.